[NAFEX] home orchard problems

Jacquelyn Kuehn jakuehn at yourinter.net
Sat Oct 2 14:41:05 EDT 2004

Dear NAFEXers,

Here's a question I received from a member, and wanted to put to you:

"more than 30 years ago, I planted a home orchard which now totals about
60 trees.  Apple rootstocks are M-106, M-26 & 9, G-30, B9...the land had
been in hay and legumes.  About ten years ago, I picked 64 bushels of
apples, and a fairly good crop of pears, peaches etc.  The following
years I picked fewer and fewer, and the last few years, almost none at all.
    "The trees are power-sprayed with oil in April.  After petal fall,
we spray weekly with Imidan and Captan until Aug. 15.  The trees look
healthy--litttle scab or insect damage.  ...Five years after planting,
we fertilize the trees using 10-10-10.  ...We prune in winter.
    "Trees plante 8-10 years ago look healthy, but have borne little or
no fruit this year.  Apples include Mutsu, Northern Spy, Melrose, Sweet
Sixteen, holly, Keepsake, Spigold, Jonagold, Fuji and Gala.  Pears are
Bartlett, Highland, Sirrine, Flemish Beauty, etc.
    "At the suggestion of our Extension agent, we sprayed Ephithon on
the apples this year, and also summer pruned.
    "Why is there so little fruit?"

Any help you could give our friend would be welcome.

Thanks!

Jackie Kuehn

---