[NAFEX] J. Seed

baylands baylands at cros.net
Sun Nov 21 18:32:33 EST 2004

Part of John Chapman's (Johnny Appleseed) purpose in roving the new frontier
planting apple trees to sell to the new immigrants was to spread his
religion. As you stated he followed the Swedenborg religion, which I believe
is a nature based religion. Based on his deep religious beliefs, I doubt
that his purpose in growing apples was to encourage drinking alcoholic
beverages to excess. Although, as has been previously pointed out, making
hard cider, vinegar etc. was very important to the life and well-being of
the early settlers. Chapman should be an honorary member of NEFLEX.

Ro Chapman (no relation, but I do like to grow apples)

  _____