[NAFEX] Apples and pears

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Nov 18 09:39:34 EST 2004

At 02:26 AM 11/18/2004 -0500, Bruce wrote:
>Does anyone have suggestions for seedling rootstocks for apples and pears?
>If possible I would like to impart disease resistance to the scions, and I
>would like to use seedlings rather than dwarfing root-stocks because of
>browsing problems.

Some of the more learned folks may correct me, but I'm not aware that
rootstocks actually impart disease resistance to the grafted cultivar,
they're just resistant to some of the pests/diseases that might take out
some of those varieties if they were 'on their own roots', as well as
providing degrees of dwarfing.

Winter Nelis seedlings have been widely used as a seedling pear rootstock
in the Southeast, and callery pear(Bradford & it's ilk) seems to make a
good seedling rootstock for most European pears, if I remember correctly
from previous discussions.  Seems like I remember Dr. Natelson mentioning
using callery with an interstem of OHxF 513 for dwarfing effect.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY