[NAFEX] Canned Seedlings

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Tue Nov 16 17:03:36 EST 2004

I found some old notes from the NAFEX meeting or somewhere else.  I had
scribbled.......
"Starting seedlings in containers will create large root masses and lead to
wider crotches, early fruiting and more."

Del Stubbs gave me a bunch of sprouting apricot pits in 2001, and I got 3 of
them to grow.  All went into 1-gallon nursery cans in the beginning.  Two
trees died, but the third flourished.  It gradually was moved up to bigger
containers, ending in a 5-gallon can in Spring 2003.  I finally got the
acreage I needed in July that year and planted the tree in the ground.  The
root system was huge when I tapped the tree out of the can, and the tree put
on 3 feet in height this summer.  Crotches are wide, too.  Bob Purvis tells
me that the pits I got from Del are Montrose, an apricot from Colorado,
late-flowering and hardy down to -31F.  My limited experience with this tree
seems to bear out the above scribblings.

What have others seen in regards to seedlings in containers?
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border--Zone 4b