[NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation

Katherine Russell Katherine.Russell at oberlin.edu
Wed Nov 10 11:06:47 EST 2004

Ditto on the Asian pear recommendations. It seems every new one I try
has a different taste.
I have a small tree of "Hosui" which fruited for the first time this
year, small fruits, ripe quite a lot earlier than the other asian pears
I have seen around town. Low acid, very watery / watermelony, very sweet
(compared to other Asian pears I've tried), with a nice perfume flavor.

The other types I've eaten that are grown locally are larger, crunchier,
and tarter, more like a firm apple but with a less concentrated flavor.

I've also tried imported Korean fruit, which was very crispy and very
very watery, with barely any sweetness.

Is there anyone who grows a huge variety of Asian pears and sells a
sampler? A bunch of orchards seem to do this for heirloom apples, and it
would be a great way to experience the full flavour range and make a
decision. (Granted, that different varieties will be ripe at different
times, but that just means ordering samplers several times :-)

Best - KR