[NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu May 20 00:20:03 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/18/2004 9:56:37 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
Mauch1 at aol.com writes:

> I wonder why this fruit [Honeyberry] has never caught on more.

I've had honeyberrys now for about 5 years here in mid Indiana. These came
from Raintree Nursery and originated from Russia where we saw them in a research
station, but no fruit in August.

Lon's assessment is correct, not particularly sweet, but a flavor agreeable
with my taste buds. They are shallow rooted and because I haven't properly
watered them lost two of three. Moles loosening the soil thus loosing moisture
didn't help. As a commercial crop they would do better where spring temperatures
more steadily rise as late frosts can limit the crop and eliminate it
entirely.  They do flower very early.  I believe they could be utilized as an early
fruit same as strawberries in farmers markets.

One Green World and Hidden Springs Nursery both carry them and their
varieties  orginate from Russia where they have worked with them many years. Am glad
to see someone in the US is also breeding them.

Jerry