[NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue May 18 11:06:12 EDT 2004

Mostly because the existing varieties don't set much fruit in much of the
U.S.  They bloom extremely early, and while the blossoms are frost
resistant, they are usually so early there are no insects out to pollinate
them.
   There is a breeder in the U.S. working to improve them and some of the
selections are looking much more productive.  I'm not at liberty to say much
about the work just yet as I don't know how much the breeder is ready to
reveal.
   I'm not fond of the fruit being called "honeyberry" as it gives a false
impression of the fruit, which is not particularly sweet.  Edible
Honeysuckle is a more honest name.
-Lon Rombough

Ate my first honey berry (Lonicera caerulea [formerly known as edulis]) of
the season today.  Wasn't bad.  I wonder why this fruit has never caught on
more.