[NAFEX] rooting grapes

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun May 16 23:48:40 EDT 2004

Every spring, when I prune my grapes, I take a handful of prunings and
put them in a couple of vases over the kitchen sink.  They sprout a
little before the outdoor vine, and provide some cheer in the kitchen.
They usually root, too, although I've never planted them.   (I have
given them away, but haven't followed up to see how they've done.)

This year the vases are translucent, and I noticed that one stem has
half a dozen roots coming from one line along the stem - there is one
long crack in the "bark" from which they all emerge.  The other stems
haven't set roots at all yet.  It led me to wonder about what factors
lead to root formation.  I know this isn't an important practical
question, as grapes are easy to root - even just in a vase, but more so
if you are more careful.  But I wondered if maybe the one had been a
little crushed or something, and the roots emerged from the area of a
healing wound.  I know maceration of the stems helps in rooting some
trees.  Any one know?

Thanks,
Ginda