[NAFEX] Apples tasted in Massachusetts rated

DocKW at aol.com DocKW at aol.com
Thu May 13 11:03:56 EDT 2004

Sorry to hear so many people disparaging the good old yellow D   which if
picked
when it is really ready (way before it turns an overripe bright yellow) is an
excellent
crisp aromatic apple.  This way is unavailable commercially....won't sell at
the ripe-green stage which is the best eating and keeping stage...have to grow
it yourself.
The red D is the most reliable producer and on such an easy tree to
grow....great for us amateurs...and if picked ripe...in the orchard...by the owner...is
a great apple for those of us grateful to have good homegrown fruit.
Breeding the red D is smart...should give some of its' healthy tree
characteristics to it's progeny.
BTW ...for my $ I like the Spigold and the Sweet Sixteen....both hard to grow
but for us homeowners...who can be patient....worth the trouble.
I think we should all grow about 15 or so cultivars giving the best
characteristics of
each a chance to delight our palates...and by the way...a mix of 5 or so
cultivars makes the BEST apple pies...
Enjoy the season!!
Karl Olson,,,,zone 5   SW Connecticut    where everything is difficult to
grow...