[NAFEX] 2004 grafts

Richard O'Barr aatopgunaa at mindspring.com
Tue May 11 23:19:24 EDT 2004

This year I have grafted quite a few persimmons and several pecans and I notice that this year the grafts are very slow to take. I had all but given up on some grafts when they started to grow.
I wonder if anyone of you have noticed the same thing. Admittedly it has been a cool spring but these grafts were inserted about the third week of March. I am used to seeing growth anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.
Also, this year I have 2 major persimmon trees that were grafted last year and made good growth on American Persimmon, and then this year the sudden Kaki decline hit them and within about 36 hours it seems they were dropping leaves and turning black. They are interspersed with other persimmon trees that still look good. I had one last year that was affected and is still alive but it is not well. I guess I should burn it as well as the other 2..

                                                                 R. D. O'Barr
                                                                 "Topgun"
Zone 7 where the first Mayhaws are just beginning to ripen.