[NAFEX] Bagging apples

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Mon May 10 10:05:04 EDT 2004

Hi,

Here is Ontario, zone 5b we are still in tight bud as far as apples go (Macintosh, Snow, Bleinham Pippin), while
Northern Spy is still dormant with no leaf break at all.

I just ordered some 4"x6" plastic bags from our local pizza shop.  They use them to bag carrot and celery
sticks.  The bags are sized for 1lb.  They are made by Cerv-A-Pack (sp?) and it costs $11 CDN for 1,000 bags.
That way I get them wholesale.

I plan on sharing the bags this season with family to test the idea in this area (2 farm orchards and my
trees).  We are very windy here, and it may not be practical.

One of the farm orchards is totally organic, the other gets sprayed but it is not a priority.  The organic
orchard would just like a bushel or two of good, blemish free apples for hand eating.  The other will try it on
the dwarf replacement trees.

Always scrounge for the best price, on things you cannot get free, and save the money for other items.

Later,
Tom