[NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Thu May 6 18:02:36 EDT 2004

>Earwigs, in the pacific northwest (mild winters), can
>defoliate the vegetable garden: including potatoes,
>chard, kale, turnips, squash and beans.  But you need
>to go out at night with a flashlight to see them at
>work.  I haven't checked the orchard at night; but
>this years the earwigs aren't bad anyway.

Good grief, Lisa, you must have an amazing number of earwigs down
there in Ashland, which is rather odd, considering how hot and dry it
is there in the summer.  I thought they only grew in the Pacific
Northwest. (which is where I live - maybe my referral to an Atlantic
source for our winter moths made you think that's where I live).

We had a lot more when I was a child (back in the 1940s).  The
morning newspaper was delivered before 6 a.m., and many earwigs would
take shelter in it as it lay on the doorstep, to my mother's horror
when she unfolded the paper.

I don't see many earwigs now, and certainly have never had anything
defoliated.  I have just been pulling out the winter vegetables that
we didn't eat.  Huge plants - thanks to our deer fence.

--
Diane Whitehead  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8