[NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 14:10:35 EDT 2004

Thank you, thank you!  The first internet site I
found for brown leatherwing said "adults feed on
Aphids", which would explain why they are on this tree

(which has peach leaf curl aphid).  I have squished a
few, but held off full-scale squishing, for which I'm
glad.  Web references for this one are mostly in CA,
with which we share climate and likely, insects.

Earwigs, in the pacific northwest (mild winters), can
defoliate the vegetable garden: including potatoes,
chard, kale, turnips, squash and beans.  But you need
to go out at night with a flashlight to see them at
work.  I haven't checked the orchard at night; but
this years the earwigs aren't bad anyway.

> The "waspy" looking bug is a snake fly.  He's a good
> guy.  Good predator
>
> The "red and black" looking bug is a Brown
> Leatherwing (or one of the

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall