[NAFEX] Apple pests

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Thu May 6 07:51:58 EDT 2004

list at ginda.us wrote:

> <snip>I think it's interesting that the crabapple this graft is
> attached to gets much less damage, consistently over the years.  The
> other graftlings are also damaged, some much worse than the Ashmead.  Karmijn is particularly hard-hit.  The
> Jonathan in the front yard is, like the crab, not much affected. <snip>

Hi,

I was looking up crabapple information the other day and read a report that Japanese beetles do more damage to
certain varieties of crabapples than others.  Possibly this explains why some caterpillars do more damage to
certain trees as well.

It does not directly apply to caterpillars, but the beetle report can be read here;

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/ext/targets/ID/ID217/ID-217.pdf

Later,
Tom

--