[NAFEX] Wild turkeys, mice & voles.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon May 3 22:46:53 EDT 2004

After the e/m advising wild turkeys ate mice & voles I send an e/m to the
Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources to confirm.

Here was the reply:

Subj:   Wild turkeys, mice, and moles
Date:   5/3/2004 11:39:55 AM US Eastern Standard Time
From:   sbacks at dnr.state.in.us
To: Jwlehman at aol.com

Dear Jerry,

To my knowledge I have never seen mice or voles listed as a food item in any
study regarding the food habits of wild turkeys.  Wild turkeys do like to eat
invertebrates (insects, spiders, etc) when they are available.  I would not be
surprised that once
in a blue moon a wild turkey might ingest a small mouse or vole in mistaking
it for some caterpillar or grub but I certainly don't think they would
actively seek them out as a prey item.  You would be better off encouraging
foxes, and weasels than wild turkeys if mole and voles were a problem.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Steve Backs
Wild turkey Project Leader