[NAFEX] (no subject)

Dale3693 at aol.com Dale3693 at aol.com
Mon May 3 13:11:37 EDT 2004

Last fall I ran across a "wild" apple tree, back up a canyon about  +/- 7500
ft elv.  It probably was  "planted" by a bear--- they feed on apples in an old
orchard (late 1800's) back up another gulch. about 1/4 mile away.  This was
an old homestead.  I took this apple to a friend about 10 miles down the line (
nobody lives much up that way) and she tempered the seed and started a couple
of seedlings.   I looked everywhere I could for a picture that sort of
matched the apple and the nearest I could find was the Caville Blanc.  The apples
were excellent as to taste and the tree showed no damage from typical diseases
or insect problems. Since the fruit matches nothing else at the old orchard
site I assume it might be  an offshoot, i.e. a new variety.

Dale, Colorado, zone4/5

'planted"