[NAFEX] Re: feral apples

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun May 2 16:56:54 EDT 2004

I didn't read it that way, just a comment that there are a lot of
less-than-terrific apples out there.  But I have noticed that the
commercial growers _are_ under pressure to plant the new and improved
cultivars every year.  There seems to be a lot more money right now in
new-and-unusual than in commodity stuff, and the new trees tend to be
friendlier to current commercial practices than the older ones.

I like that you can buy both determinate and indeterminate tomatoes.  I
assume more commercial producers plant determinate vines, but most
back-yard growers plant indeterminate vines.  If the market for apple
trees was as large as the market for tomato plants, I bet there'd be
lots of good "indeterminate" apples on the market, too.  But since the
back-yard market is small, there's lots to be gained from fruit
exploration.

Ginda