[NAFEX] feral apples

Thomas Beckett thomas at tbeckett.com
Sat May 1 23:17:23 EDT 2004

	Part of the lore I have picked up about NAFEX is that, in the old days
at least, members were oftentimes literal "fruit explorers", seeking out
rare specimens in the wilderness areas and trekking through the
backwoods to find abandoned orchards for those heirloom varieties.

	My question relates to the latter activity:  where does one look for
stands of old apple trees?  Did y'all compile a guidebook or list?  I'd
love to make some day trips this fall seeking out old Southern apples in
the Blue Ridge or Southern Appalachians.  How would I begin to locate
such places?

	Many thanks,

Thomas