[NAFEX] peach cuttings made to root

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 18 11:35:35 EST 2004

I can believe that young rooted cuttings with poorly established root systems would be more susceptible to winter injury & death than larger plants.  It also makes sense that due to the greater genetic variation among scion cultivars compared to rootstocks in a typical orchard, that some cultivars would have more cold-susceptible roots than say, Siberian C or some other peach rootstock chosen for hardiness.

However, all of my experiences with own-rooted peaches have been positive.  I studied under the guidance of some of the leaders in own-rooted  peaches, as well as propagated and planted some in my own orchard.  Using semi-hardwood cuttings and a proper misting bench (and application of high IBA concentrations), rooting is near 100%.  If you cut corners from any of these areas, the percentage of rooting drops dramatically.  Field performance is often superior to budded trees in most major aspects- with the caveat that all my experience is in milder climates, so hardiness may be a disadvantage- though I suspect that really the problem is not growing the trees to sufficient size before setting them in the Northern orchards.

Furthermore, the professors that I worked with were not stereotypical academics- they really cared about and rigorously tested field performance.  They had close contacts with commercial growers in their respective countries.  All in all, I am convinced that self-rooted peaches are a valuable additional tool in peach production and should not be dismissed as an academic exercise.

Anyone interested in references or receipes, please contact me on or off-list.

Anton
Zone 8