[NAFEX] Cold hardy Pistachio scion wood.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 10:06:30 EST 2004

Are there any pistachio breeders out there?

About 10 years ago while a member of Northern Nut Growers was in China
researching Juglans in northern China he came across a farmer selling pistachio.
That area often had snow fall. He brought back some with his import permit and
planted them at the Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln. As they are basically a desert
plant they never did well and only three survived. I asked him if I could have
them as I had an area on the South side of my house that is sandy and very
well drained. Of the three one remains, it isn't totally happy with it's
environment, but it lives.

The point is, it has survived many winters and many nights of below zero
temperatures without major tip kill. Having never flowered, it's sexual expression
is unknown.  I'd think this might be a possibility to breed winter hardiness
into pistachio for a breeder.

Does the USDA have a pistachio Germplasm repository?

Anyone interested in scion wood please contact me off line.

Jerry Lehman
7780 Persimmon St.
Terre Haute, IN 47802-4994