[NAFEX] Blueberry Cuttings Wanted

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Thu Mar 11 14:12:02 EST 2004

Hello All,

Does anyone (Canada source) have any blueberry cuttings they
would like to share?

Varieties:

Easy To Root       Moderately Easy To Root
Bluetta                  Earliblue
Patriot                  Collins
Northland             Olympia
Blueray                 Herbert
Berkeley               Jersey
Coville                 Elliott
Jersey

Read the Pomona article in the Winter 2003 issue on using
peat bales, and it has me very curious.

For the cost of a peat bale, and the postal cost of shared
cuttings, it is worth a try.  Patience I have.

Having never rooted blueberry, I offer to this to those
taking cuttings; "Proper selection of shoots is important
for rooting. Take dormant, well hardened, unbranched,
one-year-old whips/shoots from "mother" plants. Whips should
be one-fourth inch or less (pencil width) in diameter but
not spindly. Do not use shoots formed late in the season, as
they are poorly hardened; such shoots often have an
off-white to brown pithy interior. Look for healthy leaf
buds on the whip.  Avoid wood that might be diseased with
Botrytis twig blight, bacterial blight, or Godronia cane
canker."

Just need a few cuttings to experiment with.  Contact  me
off list.

Thanks,
Tom

--