[NAFEX] Blackberry fruits that are white or won't develop fully

Jim Cooper JCooper at lewiston.k12.id.us
Wed Mar 10 12:21:04 EST 2004

I think the white color is related to overhead watering. I have had the
same problem, but in only some areas. These areas are open to the taller
sprinkler and the water sits on the fruit too long. I've gone to using a
soaker hose, or low sprinker near the ground.
Jim In Idaho
growing Navaho thornless Blackberries
zone 6

1. Some of the developing 'Illini Hardy' fruits turn partially white,
making them very unattractive.  Is this weather or cultivar related, or
is there something I can do to remedy this?

This may also be related to water???

2. As the picking season ends, many of the last fruits set do not
develop as they should.  Instead, they never get large, and they are
hard and tasteless.  Again, can I do anything about this, or should I
just accept that the last fruits to set often do not develop fully?

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/