[NAFEX] Chaenomeles quince uses

Moyer, Richard ramoyer at king.edu
Tue Mar 9 15:25:41 EST 2004

Chaenomeles or flowering quince is a common ornamental plant in certain
areas of the US.  It's widespread but sporadic here, and we gather 1-2
bushels a year from local plants.  Folks are glad to have someone crawl in
or under the thorns and get rid of their fruit.  If you have the gumption
(or lack certain social graces), this is but one example of others growing
fruit for you.
We steam juice the fruit, can it, and use as lemon juice substitute.  Hence
the quince aroma and flavor makes it into pies, cakes, granola, etc.
Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn

Lon wrote:
I just went out and found fruits left on my Chaenomeles japonica, a form
that is vey low growing and is used for fruit in Latvia.  The fruits were no

good, but the seeds inside are already sprouting.  If anyone wants them,
contact me off list, quickly.
-Lon Rombough