[NAFEX] Apple Tree Training

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:31:38 EST 2004

Did you WANT a central leader?   You might try tying together 2 opposite
branches-- each bending the other upwards.   Eventually, after a couple
years, they will be trained and you can remove the less desireable.

If you want a branched crown, it would be best to reduce the branch numbers,
I'd say to 4, considering I haven't seen the tree.   Your description, of
all this growth being in one season, indicates a vigorous tree, so consider
summer-pruning instead of removals in spring.