[NAFEX] Re: Mycorrhizal fungi

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Mon Mar 8 08:53:23 EST 2004

Djubaya wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have found a simple trick to adding mycorrhizal fungi to the planting
> area... Get a straw bale (or 100*) in the summer and let it sit through
> the wet season. Then mulch with it around the tree or planting bed in
> the spring. It is the molding straw which will add the fungal mat to the
> soil...

Hello,

Everything I have read indicates that the beneficial myco fungi we are discussing is soil borne, and must be in
contact with living roots to survive.  It is a symbiotic relationship between living organisms, not decaying
dead matter.

As straw bales contain little/no roots or soil, the presence of beneficial myco fungi is limited.  You also will
have no idea what strains of myco fungi you introduce.  Some are better than others.

The moldering hay will add organic matter to the soil, but is unrelated to beneficial myco fungi.

Later,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio