[NAFEX] Cherries

William A. Grimes wagrimes at sonic.net
Sat Mar 6 01:07:38 EST 2004

At the request of correspondents to CRFG, I am looking for assistance in
locating one variety of cherry and in identifying another. The former is
the Dyehouse cherry, a sour variety identified in U.P. Hedrick's mammoth
1915 book The Cherries of New York. It apparently was in the Geneva, New
York, collection for years but was transferred to Davis, California, in the
1990's and was subsequently lost. CRFG had one in their collection in
Prusch Park in San Jose but it too was lost, and cuttings from one of the
scion exchanges disappeared as well. Any help in locating a tree of this
variety and/or in getting scion wood would be appreciated.

The other variety, unnamed, was last seen in Ontario, Canada, about 30
years ago. The tree produced green cherries that turned white and were very
sweet. The tree was very freeze-hardy and not prone to splitting. Anyone
have any ideas? The correspondent would, of course, like to find and plant
one. I thought I saw something in one of the nursery catalogs about white
cherries but have been unable to locate it.

Thanks.

Bill Grimes