[NAFEX] Mycorrhizal fungi and fungicides

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Fri Mar 5 16:42:24 EST 2004

Michael Phillips asked:

But all this begs one big question: How much do we undo of these mycorrhizal benefits when we use fungicides in the orchard and vineyard? I don't know that it matters here if we're talking captan or sulfur, though maybe there are some gentle fungicides someone wants to point out. Is there a balance point between the two where a minimal fungicide program does not break the mycorrhizal chain?

As I understand it from long discussions with Don Chapman, owner of Bio-Organics, fungicide drenches do the most harm to mycorrhizae in the soil.  Those sprayed on trees don't have as much impact.  I try to use fungicides like neem seed oil that act as barriers to fungus spores, as opposed to fungicides that are taken up by plant cells.
Doreen Howard,
who inoculates everything with mycorrhizal fungi and has the big harvests and healthy plants to prove the power of mycorrhizae.