[NAFEX] Winemaking in Iowa?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Mar 2 20:51:28 EST 2004

I hope the list will forgive me if this sounds commercial, but I just sent
the manuscript for a book on using grapes off to my publisher.  The book
contains an extensive chapter on grape juice including evaluations of many
different varieties of grapes for their juice qualities and flavors.  How
soon will it be out?  I really don't know, but even if all goes smoothly, I
wouldn't expect it much before the end of the year.
-Lon Rombough
http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for
2003

I received an E-mail from Great River Vineyard (a Minnesota seller of
hardy grapes) They gave me the URL for a course in Winemaking that
will occur in about the middle of Iowa. I am posting it because I
believe that within 30 years every State in the lower 48 will be
making wine from locally grown grapes rather than imported grapes and
they will all be fine wines..

http://www.ryersonwinery.com/shortcourse.html

Personally I'd rather see more grape juice made from wine varieties as
occured one year when grape juice production exceeded wine making
capacity. I've forgotten the variety I was priviledged to taste but it
was so different from Concord that it was an exciting change for me. I
you live in Iowa and you want to be a wine maker, check it out. If
anyone has been making great grape juice from varieties other than
Concord I  would like to hear about it as unfermented grape juice
never gives me a headache.