[NAFEX] wholesale nurseries

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Mon Mar 1 14:02:08 EST 2004

Every state has different rules and regulations, but they generally have
separate divisions of government that handle nursery licenses and the
issuing of sales tax permit numbers.

Many states will have a no fee nursery license for home gardeners who
sell less than a specific amount of merchandise. This usually is
restricted to items they propagate and grow themselves and not for the
purpose of reselling plant material.  Generally once a person becomes a
reseller, they fall into a fee based nursery license that can be based
in the number locations, size of growing or selling area(s).

It has been my experience that venders require the buyer to either pay
the sales tax at the time of purchase or have on file a sales tax
license number. Payments of the sales tax is the responsibility of the
holder of the sales tax license and may require quarterly or annual
payments which are business deduction when the federal and state
business tax forms are filed.  I would NEVER do this as a schedule C
sole proprietor business.  Obtain a dba, a bank account, and form a
corporation or partnership reduces the chance your personal tax returns
will be audited.

I offer no legal advice about using an existing business venture. For
example, if you were a garden writer and have formed a business for the
purpose of your writing efforts, you might also accomplish the
landscaping purchases as it would seem to be an excellent idea for a
"how to" article with photos illustrating the project - check with a tax
or legal person to confirm.

No amount of money you might save is worth the time, effort, and expense
of an audit.

Claude Sweet
San Diego