[NAFEX] wholesale nurseries

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:48:39 EST 2004

Some years ago I tried to understand the WI regs on this.   Never did feel
as tho I had a good grasp of it, and regs change w/ time.   BUT, I doubt
there is any rule anywhere that says you must have a nursery license just to
buy wholesale, but rather for turning over the product in a business or
possibly hobbie venture.  (Here in WI the logic was to license & keep track
of the people/places who were turning over the larger volumes, for keeping
track of disease & insect spread.)

The wholesalers I bought from were concerned only that a buyer order enough
volumes of plants to make the exchanges worthwhile.   That's like the
"wholesaler discount" advertised by those nurseries which try to do both
wholesale and retail.

I never did completely understand the tax issues, sorry.   Wholesalers and
retailers in WI were (are?) issued a "tax number", for which current info
can probably be got from the WI Dept of Revenue-- that is, your state's
Dept.

tc