[NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Tue Jul 27 07:39:41 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have something that really confuses the birds and they keep away.

I built a hawk in flight, with it's legs and claws extended, painted the
appropriate colors, and suspended it from fishing line over my grape
arbor.  The way it is set up, it bounces a bit, and swings in a large arc
when the wing blows.

You cannot see the fishing line and it looks very odd, as if attacking the
arbor.

Last season I saw a bird trying to fight with it.

Problem is, my wife liked it so much I left it up all this season and the
birds now ignor it.

Put the scare devices up only as fruit begins to ripen.  It only needs to
work for 1-2 weeks and after harvest take them down.  Never leave them
long enough for the birds to figure out they ar fakes.

Later,
Tom