[NAFEX] muscadine grafting

Hal Love lovehd at comcast.net
Mon Jul 26 17:27:27 EDT 2004

I have a number of old (30+ years) grape vines at our new place that I am
now almost certain are Concord grapes. I intend to graft some different
bunch grape varieties next spring onto these old root systems to speed up
the establishment of new vines. I am also considering putting in some
muscadine grapes. I have read that muscadine cannot be used as a rootstock
for bunch grapes due to compatibility issues, but I was curious if muscadine
could be grafted to the Concord rootstock, at least as a temporary measure
until the new shoots could be layered onto their own roots.

Thanks,

Hal
Whites Creek, TN
USDA zone 6b