[NAFEX] pollinate chestnut using pole?

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Wed Jul 14 15:52:38 EDT 2004

I have a grafted Luvall's Monster chestnut.  Big [say 1.5" round] blooms are evident on laternal branches just out of reach of step ladder.  But I can reach it with a tree pruner or stick.  What are the chances I could tape some female bloom of a different variety to a stick and reach up to the bloom on the Monster, shake some pollen onto the bloom and increase my chances of a set on those particular blooms on the Monster?

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / good plum crop this year in Massachusetts so long as squirrels leave 'em alone