[NAFEX] Summer prune gooseberries and currants?

Ribes60 at aol.com Ribes60 at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 14:31:21 EDT 2004

I frequently prune gooseberries during the growing season.I do this
primarily to reduce the side shoots on the canes. I prefer to have the plants  open to
make harvesting easier. I am sure that I lose some total capacity of  fruit
but I think that I make up for it with larger and better quality fruit,  just
as thinning peaches or bunch thinning grapes. Remember that dormant pruning  is
a stimulating process and that summer tends to be an inhibiting  process.

One thing that I adhere to is that I do NOT tip or cut canes other than  back
to the base of the plant. Cutting a cane (heading it back) makes many side
shoots or branchlets and that makes harvesting a bit harder and painful.

Ed Mashburn