[NAFEX] Summer prune gooseberries and currants?

LEE REICH lreich at hvc.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 11:27:37 EDT 2004

Summer pruning does work on gooseberries, just as it does with red
currants. Usually this summer pruning is done to maintain an espalier.
In my books UNCOMMON FRUITS FOR EVERY GARDEN  and THE PRUNING BOOK, I
describe the proceedure, which is, basically, to cut all new shoots back
to within 5" of the permanent leaders just before (not after!) the fruit
begins ripening. In winter, cut those shoots again, this time to within
1" of the permanent leaders. I haven't done this with gooseberries but
it's worked very well for me with red currants and it should work with
gooseberries.

Lee Reich
 www.leereich.com