[NAFEX] third apple for backyard orchard?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Jul 10 19:11:44 EDT 2004

On Jul 10, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:
. . .  I got
> Ashmead's Kernal and Honeycrisp from him on the proper dwarfing
> interstem
> and hardy rootstock I needed in my cold winter climate.
> . . .

I second the suggestion of Ashmead's Kernal.  I haven't grown it long
(and it keeps being eaten by deer, so it may never mature) but I've
bought them from a nearby orchard.  They are hard to find, and will
never be a major commercial crop, because the fruit is small and ugly.
But they are crunchy and taste terrific - it's my family's favorite
apple.  This is not a fruit for everyone, as it's very tart, but it's
also very sweet, and has a pleasant flavor.  It's a small russet and
keeps for several weeks in the fridge.  We finish them before they get
too old.

Ginda Fisher
eastern mass, zone 6
(apples purchased from zone 5)