[NAFEX] strawberry watering

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Jul 1 18:31:55 EDT 2004

On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 09:16 AM, del stubbs wrote:

> Thanks to recommendations on this list we put in a batch of Sparkle
> strawberries. They are on their second year now and just starting to
> ripen. We havent had quite the rainfall I would like, and was going out
> to water, but some things aren't good to water as they are ripening,
> true for strawberries? Soak  'em?
> (They are on heavy soil and straw so in no risk of shriveling up at
> this time.)
> Thanks Del  N. MN.

Strawberries definitely need water while ripening; though if they're
overly soggy it can make them bland. Drip tape is great if you can get
it in as that way you can water them without getting the leaves and
fruit wet (thereby not encouraging rots); but the easiest time to put in
drip tape is at or shortly after planting.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly