[NAFEX] Pear tree question

Deb Schneider debs at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 12:29:17 EDT 2004

We've been trying to grow pear trees for 4 years.  So far we've lost three (Warren, Seckel, and one other variety I can't remember) to fireblight.  We have one tree left, a Comice that is hanging in there.

Before I give up on pears for good, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the following varieties

Manning-Miller

Novi

Ure

All are available from St. Lawrence Nursery.  I'm interested in learning if any are resistant or immune to fireblight and how well they fruit and the eating quality of each variety.

Thank you.

Deb Schneider
Glouster, OH
Zone 6a/5b