[NAFEX] apples from seed

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Mon Aug 30 17:43:33 EDT 2004

It is well known that apples don't come true from seed.  The apple
seedlings will rarely produce fruit that is the same as the mother tree.
An article I read today says this is because apples tend to result from
cross-pollination, not self pollination.  I know that apples benefit
from cross-pollination, but I don't think that explains why apples vary
so much between generations.  Can someone with a better grasp of
genetics than I have explain what is going on.

-Mark Lee, Seattle