[NAFEX] cold hardy Passiflora

Hal Love lovehd at comcast.net
Thu Aug 26 17:28:14 EDT 2004

Hmm, I was just reading about this not more than two hours ago. We must be on the same wavelength. I have about 4 acres of rampant Maypop vines. I have noticed lots of fruit the last couple of weeks, but I have not tried any yet (probably not ripe yet). I was curious what they could be crossed with to tone down the weediness a bit.

It seems that Passiflora easily cross hybridize. However, hybrids produced by crossing the hardy species with the tropical species are usually sterile. Some attempts have been made to restore fertility by chromosome doubling with colchicine to breed them at the tetraploid level.

This topic has come up on NAFEX before. Here is a link from the archives that may be of interest.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/NAFEX/message-archives/old/msg00676.html

Hal Love
z6b, TN