[NAFEX] Sorbus X Pyrus

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:17:53 EDT 2004

Doreen, your previous posting on this topic I think stated 'Shipova' as a
Pyrus x Sorbus.  I made it to the Carandale demo plot tour Saturday, and the
'Shipova' grower's label said Sorbus x Pyrus.  I'm not sure if it makes a
difference in the Rosaceae, but plant breeders usually try to describe a
cross as Female parent x Male parent, because sometimes it makes a
difference.

Does anyone know for sure which is correct for 'Shipova'?

The 'Shipova' at Carandale looked to me, at first glance, like a
mis-labelled pear.  On closer inspection it had strongly-toothed
amelanchier-like leaves, simle rather than compound, on pear-like branches &
twigs.  Interesting.  I didn't think to ask anyone if it fruits in a panicle
or a single pome.

tc