[NAFEX] When is fig ripe??

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Thu Aug 26 00:00:10 EDT 2004

It probably depends on the cultivar.

I grow a green one.  When it is ripe it has an opened 'eye' at the
bottom, is slightly yellow, no longer shiny, and is soft.  When
picked, it sags.  We can suck the centre out, and it is absolutely
delicious.  They are tasteless if picked even half a day early.

The rats know this.  They eat only the ripe ones, so it is a
challenge.  If a fig is not quite ripe in the evening, then it will
ripen and be eaten during the night.  It's a good thing I have a big
tree which produces more than we can eat.

--
Diane Whitehead  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8