[NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Tue Aug 24 14:54:33 EDT 2004

I have a plastic container with a bit of fermented fruit in the
bottom and a plastic sandwich bag loosely over the top. This attracts
lots of flies from the boxes of fruit I have in the house. Several
times a day I hold the plastic bag tight against the yogurt container
and squash the flies through the plastic.  This works very
efficiently, but the vinegar trap sounds maintenance-free.

An hour ago I made two cider vinegar traps, following instructions.
The bubbles haven't dissipated yet, so no flies have drowned.  I
think the instructions should be amended so that the drops of
dishwashing liquid are added last to the vinegar/water jar.  The
detergent should then just float on the surface rather than forming
bubbles as it does if it is put in the jar first.

		Diane Whitehead