[NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Aug 24 10:33:44 EDT 2004

At 01:39 PM 8/24/2004 +0000, Del wrote:
>&gtOne of the tips the accomplished grafters gave me when teaching me
>>to do greenwood budding of nut trees, in July/Aug, was to prune out
>>the terminal bud - I'm presuming to remove apical dominance and
>>re-institute sapflow/growth, as referenced above.
>
>I am still trying to get all this in my head straight.....If one stops the
>auxins from flowing south - won't it also cause the bud graft to leaf out
>- instead of waiting for the next year?  Or is it rather a matter of
>distance (or number of rootstock buds) from the apical bud to the graft?

I don't know.
Typically, there are at least a half-dozen (or more) buds between where I
place my budgraft and the terminal bud.  I usually don't force the bud
until the next year on nut trees, because I'm usually later than I'd
intended  to be getting 'em put on there.
I do have some pears that I budded back in early July that I've forced, and
they've put on 6-10 inches of growth, but will probably have ample time to
harden off before winter.

Lucky