[NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Aug 24 09:47:41 EDT 2004

   Never-fail fruit fly trap.  In a pint (or quart, if you wish) jar, put in
3-4 drops of dish washing detergent, 1/3 of a jar of cider vinegar (has to
be cider, white doesn't work nearly as well), and fill the jar half to 2/3
full.  Set this in an area where you have a lot of fruit flies.  You may
need several around the room.  The vinegar smell attracts them, and the
detergent removes the surface tension of the liquid.  The result is that as
soon as a fly touches the surface of the liquid, it immediately sinks and
drowns.  Within a day you will have a thick layer of dead flies on the
bottom of the jar.  As a bonus, the vinegar tends to absorb odors from the
room.
-Lon Rombough

Since this is a fruit group, I thought there might be some expertise here on
how to control/get rid of fruit flies out of our kitchen.  We keep trying to
move resources for them, but they seem to keep finding something to sustain
them  (If nothing else is available they'll 'rest' on the Amaryllis plants I
have in the kitchen window).  They're a huge cloud as of now.  Has anyone
had this kind of problem and what was successful on getting rid of them for
you?