[NAFEX] Apple Ripening

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 09:47:36 EDT 2004

I've been trying to collect information on when certain of my apple varieties should be ready to pick.  According to the information I've gathered, Melrose should ripen in October, as should Stayman Winesap.  My Ashmead's Kernel should ripen shortly in September.  I've been examining fruit to see how it picks and the maturity of the seeds (I've been under the impression if the apple picks easily and the seeds are black the apple is 'ready' to pick.  Well, both my Melrose and Stayman Winesap have mature brown seeds and pick easily.  The Ashmead's Kernel seeds are full, but only starting to brown.  So the Ashmead's Kernel seems on track for ripening in September as estimated, but the others seem ready now?  Should I pick them now, wait until closer to their 'standard' ripening date, or what?

Thanks,

--
Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6