[NAFEX] late harvested sour cherries

Naomi dragon-star at cableone.net
Mon Aug 23 12:09:53 EDT 2004

Have much West Nile in your area?
Naomi
  -----Original Message-----
  From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Mark Lee
  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 9:57 AM
  To: 'North American Fruit Explorers'
  Subject: [NAFEX] late harvested sour cherries

  This year, I have been able to taste the changes in Montmorency cherries
when left to hang for weeks after the normal harvest time.  Normally, robins
and starlings will strip the tree in July.  This year the birds did not show
up.  It has been much warmer than normal, so maybe the birds are hanging out
closer to the mountains or maybe farther north where they can stay cool.
Montmorency cherries, during the normal harvest time in July, are very sour
and they are a hot sports car red color.  After hanging 3 weeks or more
after the normal harvest date, the cherries turn a translucent purplish red.
The extreme tartness almost completely mellowed-out.  There is a little
sweetness and lots of slightly fruity, watery juice.  When left to
over-ripen, Montmorency cheeries make an OK fresh eating cherry.  I wouldn't
hold a whole crop on the tree, especially if the birds come back, but
leaving a few branches for a late harvest in August provides a fresh-eating
cherry crop long after the normal sweet cherries are done.

  -Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a

---