[NAFEX] Rubus parviflorus

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Aug 22 22:34:06 EDT 2004

Thimbleberry is common in the Pacific NW, and it IS a good looking plant, as
you note.  Here, the berries are decent enough, though they are so soft when
ripe they can be hard to pick.  Also, the flavor isn't what one would call
very intense, especially compared to cultivated raspberries, though there
isn't anything about it I'd call unpleasant.  Still, they are very nice in a
shady landscape.
-Lon Rombough

   In mid July I spent some time in the Boundry Water Canoe Area in Northern
Minnisota. One of the plants that stood out was Thimbleberry, Rubus
parviflorus. What a lush plant with foliage that has a tropical feel. The
leaves are huge with terminal clusters of large white flowers. The berries
where much larger than most rasberries. None where ripe. I was wondering if
anyone has had any experience with this Rubus.  Even if the berries arent
much count I would love to grow this for the follaige. It would look great
in the garden.  One appealing aspect is that seems to be able to tolerate
some  shade. I kind of think coming from the North Woods that it might not
survive our hot and sweatie summers of the midwest.
Any thoughts on this species.