[NAFEX] Applecrab rating

Ed Forest edforest55 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 10:06:41 EDT 2004

I tasted Trailman Crab for the first time this year. According to my
readings it was the only applecrab seeming to challenge Centennial for first
place as best tasting crab.
Result: I would rate Trailman as almost as good as Chestnut and Kerr which I
rate second to Centennial. Here is my one person rating of the following
crabs, in order from first to last place (this is only the first crop of
Trailman and I only tasted one apple and the Trailman tree was somewhat
crowded and possibly a bit lacking in sun, nevertheless, I thought it might
be representative, only subsequent years will tell):

Centennial    10
Chestnut      9
Kerr             9
Trailman       8
Whitney       6

I'm very curious about Callaway which Lucky rates highly. Also, Canada has
many applecrabs that I have yet to try, but most are usually rated lower
than Chestnut by others.
Kevin B
zone 4/5 Wisconsin