[NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature

Katherine Russell Katherine.Russell at oberlin.edu
Thu Aug 19 11:32:14 EDT 2004

I take it from the ongoing discussion of grafting, that my concern about it being "too late" for budding my cherry tree is overly alarmist?

I'm going to go ahead and try something this weekend. I have some rootstock lined up.
Any suggestions for techniques likely to work on a thin barked sour cherry, at a time of year when the bark isn't slipping (it's not), will be appreciated.

I'd read that the recommended way of propagating sour cherry would have been by budding, sometime in June. This is what I tried earlier this summer, not in June but in July; since I'd read that the scionwood should be dormant, I picked buds which were not actively growing and did not have a leaf coming out next to them. Again, please, if anyone can recommend a better way of doing it or correct misinformation, that would be appreciated. Best.

KR
krussell at oberlin.edu